Saturday, May 7, 2016

Dearest Mom,

Dearest Mom,

Today on Mother's Day, I thought long and hard about how I could best honor you.  No gift is enough, no card quite right.  SO, I thought, maybe writing you something might be a more appropriate gift.

From a mom, to my mom, on Mother's Day, as I reflect on my childhood until now, first and foremost, Id like to say, I'm sorry!  I know you're probably thinking that there's no apology needed, but I declare it warranted.  You see, I know now, being a mom is no joke.  It's 24/7 worry/nerves/regret/happiness/love and it is INTENSE! You couldn't have possibly warned me.  But you showed me how to be a mom from the time I can remember.

My best memories from grade school and high school are the ways that you made me feel special and important.  I remember in high school when someone broke up with me and you sent me flowers to cheer me up.  I remember you sending me flowers on Valentines and remembering which soda and candy I preferred.  You bought brand specific mac and cheese because you knew I preferred it. You often were my most ardent cheerleader, while giving me space to make my own decisions.

You've always supported my hopes and dreams.  No matter how small (trying out for a competitive cheer squad, making it, and subsequently quitting) or big (shooting for the stars and ending up at seminary).  You came to every basketball game that you could.  You supported my multiple after school activities, even going from one to the next.  I'm not sure you had time to even think sometimes, and there was only one of me.

Let's be honest, I've fallen on my ass, a lot.  You've never made me feel less than for those mistakes.  You've always supported me through the tough times.  I wouldn't be where I am today without your undying support.  I hope to use that as a guide with my own kids, though you are already their biggest fan as well.

I could never put into words the amazing things you've done for me. Those seen and unseen.  I hope to be half the mother you have been to my own children. I love you until the number end plus one.

Happy Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment